If your Apple Pencil (2nd gen) is not pairing with your iPad, then you can try the following:
- Check if Your iPad is Compatible;
- Make Sure Apple Pencil Is Placed on the Side of iPad With Magnetic Connector;
- Try to Pair Your Apple Pencil Again;
- Reset Network Settings
- Contact Apple Support.
Checking if iPad Is Compatible
As per Apple support, Apple Pencil (2nd gen) is only compatible with the following versions of iPad:
- iPad mini (6th generation);
- iPad Air (4th generation and later);
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later);
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and later).
Before checking for other reasons why your 2nd gen Apple Pencil is not working, make sure you have an iPad that's compatible with it.
Making Sure Apple Pencil Is Placed on the Side of iPad With Magnetic Connector
The iPad's magnetic connector is located on the side of your iPad with the volume buttons. Therefore, you should make sure the Apple Pencil is placed, centered, on the correct side, where the iPad's magnetic connector is located.
Trying to Pair Apple Pencil
You can try the following steps to pair your Apple Pencil (2nd gen) again with your iPad:
- Go to "Settings > Bluetooth" and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on;
- If you have previously paired your Apple Pencil, then you will find it on the same screen under "My Devices" — tap on the Information icon, and then tap "Forget this Device";
- Restart your iPad;
- After restarting, place your Apple Pencil centered on the iPad's magnetic connector;
- After a few seconds, you should see a prompt with the pair button, when that happens, tap on it.
Resetting Network Settings
Sometimes, connectivity issues can be resolved by resetting the network settings on your iPad (which resets both, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections). To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to "Settings > General" on your iPad;
- Scroll down and tap on "Transfer or Reset iPad";
- Tap on "Reset";
- Tap on "Reset Network Settings" from the prompt that shows;
- Enter your passcode if prompted, and confirm the reset.
After resetting the network settings, try pairing your Apple Pencil (2nd gen) again.
Contacting Apple Support
If none of the suggested steps work for you, then you should contact Apple Support.
This post was published by Daniyal Hamid. Daniyal currently works as the Head of Engineering in Germany and has 20+ years of experience in software engineering, design and marketing. Please show your love and support by sharing this post.